|The RM 3,000,000 Golden Chariot by PHEB|
1. There have been various allegations against the Chettiar community, especially against the Nattukottai Chettiar Temple Management that all this years the temple management did not assist the Penang Hindu community in Penang although it (temple management) has been receiving donations from Hindu's nation wide.
2. This irresponsible allegation by parties who are against the Chettiar community is a blatant lie and very dissapointing. In fact, the Chettiar community had given RM 100,00 to the Penang Hindu Endowment Board (PHEB) for the board to repair the pond near our Arulmigu Balathandayuthapani Temple.
3. What is most dissapointing is that eventhough the full amount of money was given, the repair works was not done by PHEB. They took the money and did not do anything. Until now the pond at our hilltop temple is damaged and in need of another major repair works.
4. In fact, not only the RM 100,000 contribution to PHEB but the Chettiar community and the temple management had contributed alot to the Hindu community. If the PHEB disagrees with this statement by the Chettiar community, the community is more than willing to provide all the evidence to back up this claim and prove to the public that PHEB and its leaders are lying.
5. Therefore, for some parties to allege and conclude that the Chettiar community, especially the Nattukottai Chettiar Temple Management does not contribute to the Hindu society is grossly wrong and ill-informed. It is a well known fact in the community that all successful Chettiar businessmen is required to commit 2% of their income to the temple board and this money is than used to manage the temple and their childrens's wellbeing.
6. The attacks on the Chettiar community has got nothing to do with our so called "lack" of support to the overall Hindu community in Penang but is due to our opposition to PHEB wasting RM 3,500,000 of Rakyats money to have their own Golden Charriot procession. RM3,500,000 for constructing the Golden chariot and RM 500,000 for road works to bring down the Golden chariot from the Arulmigu Balathandayuthapani Temple.
7. Why waste RM 3,500,000 of rakyats money on something that is already being done by someone else? This money can better be used for the development of the Hindu community in Penang like building affordable homes, libraries and assisting poor families that will need some extra money to spend for the new school year.
8. Therefore, lets us all propose that the Golden Charriot Procession of PHEB is done on some other day, time and route and does not clash with the Nattukottai Chettiar Temple Management Silver Chariot procession. The power is in PHEB and its Perak born leader Professor P. Ramasamy hands.
9. Professor P. Ramasamy is blatantly using his power without having any regards to the opinion of the Hindu's in Penang. Please do the Golden Chariot procession some other time and stop spliting and dividing the Hindu community anymore. It is time for our community to unite and not break into having two (2) chariots just because some politicians want it that way for their own political benefit.
*The petition can be accessed at:*