KL CHRONICLE: @VellPaari : PERKASA's threat against me and my family must be punished by the law

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

@VellPaari : PERKASA's threat against me and my family must be punished by the law


PRESS STATEMENT 
DATO’ SERI S. VELL PAARI

Let me be very clear.

I did not at any time make any defamatory or derogatory remarks about Islam as a religion. I believe in the sanctity of our constitutional rights to worship and follow any religion of choice.

My comments about Zakir Naik and his Islamic Research Foundation were based on the following:- 



1. On 17th November 2016, the Government of India banned the Islamic Research Foundation (the IRF) under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act. 

2. On 16th March 2017, the IRF petitioned the Judicial Tribunal (the Tribunal) against the government’s ban. However the Judicial Tribunal upheld the government’s ban;  

3. The Tribunal found that there was sufficient reasons to outlaw the IRF because it was a threat to India’s security; 

4. The Tribunal relied on evidence that included Zakir Naik’s speeches. On analysis of the speeches the Tribunal found it abundantly clear that the same are provocative and derogatory; 

5. The Tribunal also took cognisance of the evidence that 24 youths who travelled from Kerala to Afghanistan to join the Islamic State were regulars at the IRF’s office in Mumbai; 

6. Further, the Tribunal took a grim view of the enduring impact of Zakir Naik’s provocative speeches that was said to have inspired the attackers who struck at Dhaka’s Holey Artisan Bakery in 2016; 

7. The Tribunal held that the material placed before it showed that Zakir Naik was actually using the IRF as a platform to propagate a radical version of Islam; 

8. India’s National Investigation Agency has approached Interpol to issue a RED NOTICE against Zakir Naik i.e. a request to locate and provisionally arrest an individual pending extradition. 

9. I repeat that my comments on Zakir Naik are justified in all the circumstances of the case.

10. As far as PERKASA is concerned, I suggested that an investigation be carried out with regards their involvement with Zakir Naik especially with regard Zakir Naik’s recruiting members for ISIS in Malaysia. I challenge Mr Ibrahim Ali and his organization to take me to Court if he views any of my statements as defamatory. I also challenge Zakir Naik to do the same. 

11. May I also suggest that you, Ibrahim Ali, keep your “spin doctor” tactics to yourself especially in an issue involving a fugitive, namely, Zakir Naik. 

12. Lastly, Mr Ibrahim Ali’s culture of taking to the streets to threaten ordinary citizen like me should be taken seriously by the authorities. Veiled threats against me and my family must be met with the consequences of punishment by law. 

Dato’ Seri S. Vell Paari

15th May 2017

No comments:

Share This

Comments

Facebook Popup

Powered by Blog - Widget