KL CHRONICLE: @VellPaari challenges PERKASA, firm on Zakir Naik comments

Monday, May 22, 2017

@VellPaari challenges PERKASA, firm on Zakir Naik comments


*Press Statement*
*Datuk Seri S. Vell Paari*

*22 May 2017*

1. Yesterday a small number PERKASA members, around 10 of them held a protest outside our Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC) Headquarters because of a statement i issued on Zakir Naik and PERKASA.




2. First of all, I can assure PERKASA and its members that I am not going to lose any sleep on this so called protest against me with respect to my stand against Zakir Naik. It has been very clear from the beginning that my comments about Zakir Naik and his Islamic Research Foundation were based on the following:- 

A. On 17th November 2016, the Government of India banned the Islamic Research Foundation (the IRF) under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act. 

B. India’s National Investigation Agency (NIA) has approached Interpol to issue a RED NOTICE against Zakir Naik i.e. a request to locate and provisionally arrest an individual pending extradition. 

In fact, on 16 May 2017 INTERPOL acknowledges the NIA's red notice against Zakir Naik. This in itself means that the case against Zakir Naik is valid and there is a basis for it. 

3.  Harbouring this foreign fugitive who is wanted in India for propagating terrorism, tax evasion and money laundering is not good for Malaysia and our image as a moderate muslim country.  

4. Now that he has fled Malaysia to escape arrest, and with the assurances made by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi to the Indian community that Malaysia would never collude in harbouring fugitives and the Malaysian government commitment that it would assist the Indian government in its investigations on Zakir Naik, I have nothing more to comment on this matter. 

5. But with regards to PERKASA, I have made it very clear. If they feel that I have made unjust comment against them. Then PERKASA should fulfill their threat of suing me instead of taking to the streets. It will also give me an opportunity to vindicate and defend myself of all the slander that they have leveled at me. 

6. I again reiterate that I did not at any time make any defamatory or derogatory remarks about Islam as a religion. I believe in the sanctity of our constitutional rights to worship and follow any religion of choice.

*Thank You*

No comments:

Share This

Comments

Facebook Popup

Powered by Blog - Widget