PRESS STATEMENT BY
DATO SRI S.VELL PAARI
*Comment on the proposed regulation on Political Funding & Donation by the National Consultative Committee on Political Financing*
1. The action taken by the government to regulate political funding and donation is very much welcomed. This shows that the government of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Haji Najib Bin Tun Abdul Razak is transparent and open on BN’s political funding and there is nothing to hide on the source of these funds.
2. However, the proposal has to also be accepted with open arms by the opposition party when it is tabled in Parliament under the Political Donations and Expenditure Act. I hope the opposition would not oppose these new laws that is being proposed by the government with respect to political funding and donation. The opposition talks about accountability and transparency so this is the time for them to walk the talk and practice what they preach.
3. With regards to the recommendation that cash inflow from donations from foreign sources to a political funding party or politician are banned, this shall also be enhanced to ban all source of political funding and donation outflow from Malaysians to international media organization, political parties and politicians that is currently being done now by Malaysia businessman and politicians. This has to be addressed.
4. International or external parties must not be allowed to act like a terrorist, i.e. being funded by certain businessman and politician in this country to bring down a democratically elected government and leader.
5. Nevertheless, i was made aware that the opposition has rejected the proposal by the NCC to regulate political funding and donation based on statements made by Tian Chua and Rafizi Ramli of PKR. Reference below:
6. This shows that the opposition parties are hypocrites where they want a separate sets of rule i.e. one (1) for BN and the Prime Minister where we have to declare all our source political funding and donation but they (the opposition) can keep silent on theirs. Why are they so scared to open their books to the public? Unless of course their source of political funding and donations are from ill gotten sources.
7. Finally, the PM has been very open to regulate political funding and donations in this country. The PM wants to be transparent in this issue but the opposition seems not interested and in fact will reject this bill when it is tabled in Parliament. This concludes that the opposition is only all talk without substance and they do not practice what they preach.