1. I am grateful to the people for putting their faith in Barisan Nasional again. As a mid-term government being targeted by unprecedented politically-motivated slander, we are especially humbled that we received such landslide results. Our official majority in Kuala Kangsar was 6,969, compared to 1,082 in the 2013 general election; and 9,191 in Sungai Besar, compared to 399 in 2013.
2. Tun Mahathir Mohamad turned the elections into a referendum on my leadership. He campaigned for his former enemies in the opposition, dishonourably smearing his own party with crude language and claiming to speak on behalf of the people. But this betrayal was motivated by personal interest, not the national interest.
3. Now, with these two huge majority wins, and BN’s landslide 72 out of 82 seat Sarawak election win last month, the people have shown their confidence for and trust in BN. They rejected Tun Mahathir's lies, they rejected his unworkable coalition of former enemies, and they rejected the incoherent opposition - partly because of their alignment with Tun Mahathir.
4. I would like to thank all the BN machinery, well led by Deputy Prime Minister Dato' Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi. BN succeeded because we worked as a team. We prevailed, and, if we continue to work tirelessly for the people and remain united, we will always prevail.
5. As long as I am Prime Minister, the interests of the people will come first. We will deliver on our promises to them. My priority will continue to be the economic welfare, social wellbeing and security of all Malaysians.
PRIME MINISTER’S OFFICE
18th June 2016