On the 4th of May, Reuters ran an article titled "Malaysia's Najib faces leadership test in by-elections" . In summary,the article opinion-ed that the by election will be:
1. A test of Najib's popularity.
2. The results would be used to test whether Najib is a poison pill or a magic wand for his party.
3. If the win margin diminishes compared to previous years, then one could argue that Najib's leadership is dented.
Since the by - election result is already out, it can now be concluded that:
1. Najib is popular and accepted by the rakyat.
2. Najib is a magic wand for his party
3. Najib leadership is not dented although the influential Dr. Mahathir, (Reuters is calling him influential, not me) has intensified attacks on Najib in recent weeks.
In summary, Prime Minister Najib Razak has demonstrated that even though he is being attacked by his Deputy Muhyiddin Yassin and the ANC faction led by Dr. Mahathir, he is still strong and has the total support of Barisan Nasional and its components parties. Not bad for a leader who was once called "lembik" by Anwar Ibrahim and geng.